I’ve been slowing rolling out some structural and organizational changes to the site. Visitors will be seeing the changes within the next day or two. Apologies for any downtime that may occur.
So you’re sitting around your living room, using your laptop. It’s chugging along happily, glowing brightly, and you’re enjoying a rousing game of ‘team solitaire’ (Valve’s newest online sensation). But wait! Your teammates are taking a reaaaaly long time to queue up for the next game, and you’re wanting to kill some time with ‘very pissed off avians…. under water!’ (the newest iteration of the mobile time sink that’s been sweeping the interwebs). You pull out your tablet, fire up the game, and start flinging feathered friends forward. You look up, and woah! The game has already started! You scramble for a safe place to put your tablet, spilling your drink all over your cable modem and rendering it slower than a 56k dial-up modem. Sadly, being in the US that’s only a 10% speed decrease. If only you had a tablet stand built into your laptop table, this minor annoyance could have been avoided!
So do what I did, take an old licence plate and bend it into the letter 6. Loop this around the support leg of your stand, cut out a chunk for the power cord, and you’ve got a timely tablet stand to stand the test of table time.
After all the hullabaloo over my open sourcing of my Android work Wednesday night, I neglected to post up about how my impress.JS resume project has been coming along. I’ve finished the initial layout, and all the initial information pages and frames. There’s a lot of good embedded multimedia in there now (videos, the tuner, QG graphs, images, charts, etc) and I’m finally starting to refine the style a bit and add some CSS. I also added a slide discussing the open source Android update from Weds.
Here, have a screenshot.
* Oh and a quick update, apparently my site got over 3 million hits yesterday, can anyone else confirm this? I’m just estimating from rolling Apache logs. It’s a shame I removed all advertising from the site, eh? hehe.
Just throwing up some statistics for posterity and new readers. Sometimes it’s helpful to give a little context to the state of my work and the site etc. These come from the advanced GitHub search box and manually going over the top user profiles by number of repositories, and I implore anyone with contrary data to let me know so I can update these. The text of the infographic image is below the jump for those of you who don’t like to load large images in posts.
After combing through the site archives, I’ve found another 11 applications from 2001 to 2007 that I wrote. I thought they could use a good home on GitHub. You can check them out on my GitHub page. They are
- Ping Rebooter
- Title Bar Scroller
- SNES Screensaver Script
- Super Simple RSS
- Python Food Statistics
- Paint Camera With Laser Pointer
- Gmail Save Game Saver
- File Metadata app
- A Pair of THC Calculators
- Easy Execute Library
- CSServer Adventure (A console RPG)
I’ve been studying my site and app traffic for a while now, and I’ve come to a very sure conclusion. Open-sourcing an app does nothing to decrease app sales or ad traffic, but increases web traffic significantly. Therefore I’ve decided to open source everything I’ve ever done, BSD licensed so you can use it at work.
Seriously, all the sources. Every one. To start with, I’ve created repositories for the roughly 70 Android applications I’ve released. As of today, you can browse through them all on my GitHub account page.
Unfortunately for me, the task of open sourcing 100+ projects is a daunting one, so I set about writing a script to troll my folders and create GitHub projects. This script itself is also available on GitHub here. Read on for more info about the construction of the script.